Burning ISO images in OS X?

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 17 15:42:01 2002

@$@!#$!@# It's not.

> Be careful with the installation of Toast; you MUST remove Apple's OS9
> extensions and use Toast's for all burning (ie Apple's and Toast's).
> Never use the OSX's Finder's burn command to create YDL disks (File: Burn
> Disk). Use the Disk Copy utility.

Well, I guess that's a moot point but yes, that's how I was trying to burn
the disks.

> Never mount an .iso you intent to use as a bootable disk.

You _can_ mount an .iso and still have it be bootable. Just make sure you
"Lock" the file first (I always mount disks to check their integrity). The
"lock" has prevented any problems from occurring in the past.

> The usual issues will affect burns (background services must be off) and
> if you use Toast set it up with maximum caches.
> Common background services that will cause coasters:
> Network Time Server set to auto-sync time
> AppleTalk active
> Norton, etc's "save me from myself" features like Unerase and Fast Find

Actually, I've got all of the above (except Norton's crap) running and my
Toast 5 in OS 9 doesn't burn coasters (except for when I use an already bad
CD).

> Be aware that data should be on an IDE drive connected as master if it is
> supposed to be read to a RW device without interruption.
> Connect data-intensive devices (like a CDRW) directly to a USB port on the
> CPU, not via a hub or the KB bus.

Don't have no hubs and the iCrap keyboard that came with this B&W has been
sitting in its box from day 1 (oh beautiful Apple Extended Keyboard II, the
likes of you haven't been made since).

> In contrast to the other posters here, I have never made a single coaster
> with either the built-in RW drive or my external. I mean not even once. I
> do use quality media (no off-brand spindles) from known good suppliers, I
> have found FUJI and Verbatim media to be excellent.

I use my media as temporary (2-3 months) back-up anyway so expensive stuff
isn't worth it. Make two copies of everything important: one to leave here,
one to take home.