Solved: YDL 2.2/2.4.18 and ATI Radeon 7000 console video mode

Robert M. Fuhrer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 17 18:50:01 2002

So, after some poking through kernel source (bless its little heart) I
figured out my problem in getting better-than-VGA resolution on the
text console with my ATI Radeon 7000 card.

I didn't realize that (1) boot-time command-line video options can
differ from driver to driver, and (2) the video drivers may have
changed from kernel 2.4.10 to 2.4.18, so that simply substituting one
driver name for another in an option string that worked with my IMS
TwinTurbo ("video=imsttfb:vmode:20,cmode:8") failed to work with my
Radeon.

I now use instead

  video=radeon:1280x1024-16@70

in my boot options and this works just fine.

Seems that you can now say

  HORIZxVERT-DEPTH@REFRESH

or simply

  HORIZxVERT-DEPTH

or even

  HORIZxVERT

Now, is there a way to switch resolutions outside X Windows AFTER
booting?

Cheers,
  -- Bob