YDL 2.2 install fails at transfering packages

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 18 02:39:01 2002

Hi everybody,

thanks for the messages | replies. Here some clarifications about the=20
situation [as far as I can tell from your postings, 2GB free in / does=20=

not seem to be enough for Development/Workstation -:{]

Here some more info:

> The "usual" problem appears to be trying to install on a 1GB or less=20=

> drive
> or partition. You didn't say what size your hard drives are nor the=20
> drive
> size/partition scheme that was successful on your Performa 5200. Btw,=20=

> the
> nubus-pmac people <http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net> would probably  =
be
> very interested to know that you successfully installed YDL 2.2 on a
> Performa.

Ok, it _is_ a Performa 5200 [I posted a question earlier, as network=20
does not come up right after reeboot, see "YDL 2.2 network won't start"=20=

earlier on this list - no response so far though]. To install, I used=20
the miBoot setup from the "ancient" LinuxPPC 2kQ4 CD. It enables you to=20=

boot into Linux without the need of any MacOS installed. Instead the=20
ramdisk, I used the ramdisk-text.image.gz from the install CD, kernel=20
for installation was from <http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net>, all I had=20=

to do was to change the settings in boot.conf and add append =3D=20
"init=3D/bin/sh", otherwise the kernel would hang, trying to mount usbfs =
-=20
I found no other way to get around that. All I had to do then, was to=20
manually start the installer, I think it was in /bin/runinstall or so.=20=

After that, installation went smoothly - except for my networking=20
probs. -;}

> You need a fair partition to do the install. I don't know exactly =
where
> the line is, but it's definitely between 1 and 2 GB somewhere.
> If you create more than one Linux partition (ie /home, /var, etc plus=20=

> root)
>   you must make sure these partitions have enough space as well.
> A major part of it is the temporary storage of packages after they are
> uncompressed but not yet installed.
>
> " ...size/partition scheme that was successful on your Performa=20
> 5200. ..."

Partitioning scheme of Performa:

hda8  /                ext2 =0E~ 3.8GB
hda6  /mnt/Boot_Linux  hfs     32MB    bootloader: miBoot with my own=20
custom 2.4.5 kernel patched for nubus after install.
hda7                   swap    128MB

> He said "... I am trying to install YDL 2.2 on a PM7500/100, ..."
> Performa 5200 will not work with YDL.

It does, see above -;]

> Well, I already deleted the original email from Dax, but IIRC, he said=20=

> he
> knew the CD he burned was good because he was successful using it to=20=

> install
> YDL 2.2 onto a Performa 5200. Yes, I was amazed, too, as I'm not aware=20=

> of
> anyone being able to install anything newer than YDL 2.0 on NuBus =
Macs.

The CD actually is not burned, but an original one I bought through a=20
reseller here in Germany. After successfully installing on my Performa=20=

[btw, YDL 2.0 & 2.1 were on it before, and all worked well], I decided=20=

to install the 7500 the same way, to find out what the network issue on=20=

my 5200 is all about, that's when trouble started.

> FWIW, I've gotten that error with a 1897 MB "/" partition. Developer=20=

> install
> fits if I eliminate some packages, identifiable gnome stuff in my =
case.

> Workstation install fits without problems.
>
> Post-install, I've got 273 MB free space.

Well, I thought 2GB was enough, but I guess I'm wrong, I will try today=20=

with much less packages chosen, to see if it really is the running out=20=

of space issue. The partitioning scheme of the 7500:

sdb8   /                ext2  ~ 1.8GB
sdb6   /mnt/Boot_Linux  hfs     32MB   bootloader: miBoot with default=20=

install kernel from YDL 2.2 CD
sda2   /home            ext2  ~ 1.0GB
sdb7                    swap    128MB

> I'm gonna guess it was a 5260 (aren't they  a PCI beast?)

Nope, it _is_ an original Performa 5200CD/75 - no PCI, with ethernet=20
card in PDS slot, [working under YDL 2.1 without any probs]!

Greetings from deep down in the Black Forest,

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040