Wow - leave the one button mouse alone

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 19 08:51:01 2002

on 19/4/02 10:01, cbsled@ncia.net at cbsled@ncia.net wrote:

> On 04/17/02, at 03:06 PM, "Eric D." <liriodendron@mac.com> said:
>
>> For people who care only about using a computer I've seen multi-button mice &
>> Windows cause no end of grief
>
> But you think shift-function-control-option-command-click is easier for these
> people to remember?

That is a valid point, but these are people who'll never use short-cuts
(cmd-Q, -W, -C, -V, huh, wha's dat?). For them it's simply not worth the
time & too complicated to learn how to do all that "fancy" computer stuff.
They go to the menu bar and do everything visually (visual learners).

For me I sometimes find that using modifier keys is easier & less
troublesome than dealing with a right-click. I'm a right handed touch typist
(have been from very early age) and my hands are nearly always hovering over
the "home" position. ctrl-opt/alt-cmd-shift are all in striking distance of
my left thumb and pinkie & I know exactly where they are. The right-click
requires more dexterity because I first have to verify that I am indeed
using the correct finger (& I've been using multi-button mice occasionally
on Winblows since '92 and on Mac since '98 (single button since '84 :)),
then click, THEN deal with the crappy contextual menu that pops up.

It's kind of amusing but I have the left- and right- mouse buttons on my M$
Intellipoint Optical set up as left-click (only the scroll wheel does duty,
both as a click and as the scroll function) in most apps (only in browsers
and the finder do I have right-click mapped to command-click (opens new
windows in browsers, and allows you to move window contents around in the
Finder and M$ Exploder/Opera (Mac versions only:(:(:( (or maybe :):):) since
we are also for the most part, part Mac OS users (me 100% this past week...
too busy to play with Linux))).