VNC-Server 3.3.3r2 from YDL 2.2 tasty CD crashes

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 19 10:02:01 2002

>xrdb: No such file or directory
>xrdb: can't open file '/home/holale/.Xresources'
>xterm: fatal pty error 23 (errno=22) on tty /dev/pts/0

>X connection to :1.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>xterm: fatal pty error 23 (errno=22) on tty /dev/pts/0

This likely won't help much, but here is a hint worth the paper it's
printed on:

With the new XF4.2, I noticed that anything invoking xterm during X
startup can crash the X server. This can be as innocuous as running
an xterm command in .xinitrc. OTOH, if you do get X started, opening
a good old xterm fails (although it won't crash the server in this
case IME). Either way, the xterm error is just as you list above.

I have searched around a little on google, and the fatal xterm pty
error is a known problem. But there seems to be some finger-pointing
too, so it is not clear to me whether the problem is with xterm or
the xserver.

I haven't had time to research it more, but I would love to see a
clarification. Meanwhile, you might want to track down unintended use
of xterm. Without knowing whether it will help, I suggest trying vnc
with a nice lightweight WM like icewm or maybe blackbox.

Stefan Jeglinski