YDL 2.2 vs Wallstreet PB G3

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 19 10:31:01 2002

The installation went OK, but there's still a to-do list.

1) Unlike YDL 2.1, but reminiscent of 2.0, (or was it LinuxPPC 2000?) I must boot in text mode because booting graphical causes the mouse pointer to freeze. The advice for the ibook, setting accelerated video with dexter.py, causes display fubaration.
 Is there a fix?

2) Pcmcia *almost* works. I am working with CF cards. I'm getting a hi-lo beep from cardmgr on card insertion. Cardctl works fine, and correctly reports the identity of an inserted card. In /etc/pcmcia/ide.opts, after the "Sample IDE setup", I added:

*,*,*,1)
    INFO="Compact Flash"
    DO_FSTAB="y" ; DO_FSCK="y" ; DO_MOUNT="y"
    FSTYPE="msdos"
    OPTS=""
    MOUNTPT="/mnt/flash"

Still no go. Running cardmgr -v produces no output. Ideas?

3) What's up with the perpetual motion gears on folders in the file browser mode of Konquerer?

4) In /etc/sysconfig/mouse, the following (stock) lines work:

EMU_BUT2=87
EMU_BUT3=88

When changed to:

EMU_BUT2=222
EMU_BUT3=115

they should, according to xev, map to the unassigned (in my .Xmodmap) fn+command and command respectively, but this does not work.
Why not?

5) Sound does not work in X the first time I startx after a reboot. If I log out of KDE, then log back in, it works then and in all subsequent X sessions. Hey, at least it works!  That is a little strange, though. It hasn't been tested with Gnome yet.

6) And finally, what is the recommended system for file sharing between this intermittantly connected YDL laptop and a Linux LAN?

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
When there's no plan, there's one less thing to go wrong.
    -Joe Redington Sr.
-----