2 questions

John Brier yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 19 15:10:00 2002

I can't help you with the internal modem. I do know a few ways to
shutdown the computer though. I use "halt" as a normal user. This shuts
down the computer and if I remember, it does it in such a way that when
you turn it back on everything will be in the same state as when it was
halted. "halt -p"  turns the power off when finished halting. Also you
can try "shutdown now" I think you have to be root to do that.     You
could try them and find out. I think there are some options to shutdown
too.
Reading the man page for shutdown, it looks like shutdown is a "secure
way" to "bring the system down" it gives all programs time to exit
cleanly and save running files. When using shutdown you'll probably want
to do  a "shutdown -h" which halts after shutdown. If you don't add -h
the computer will be put into "state where administrative tasks can be
performed."

PS
next time you fill in the subject, FILL IN THE SUBJECT.
for example "Internal modem not found. How to shutdown?