Any ppc programmers interested in Video Conferencing?

Hugh Caley yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 20 12:15:01 2002

Are there any ppc programmers out there interested in video
conferencing?  There is a set of libraries and programs available for
Linux that implement the H.323 protocol; this is the major video
conferencing protocol used by most corporate video conferencing
equipment and by software such as Microsoft Netmeeting.  It's all free,
as well.

The software I'm thinking of are:

http://www.openh323.org (libraries and command line apps)
http://gnomemeeting.org (a gnome-based gui)

Unfortunately there are some glitches running these on the ppc platform;
althought they build they don't work quite right.  I suspect the changes
needed to work on ppc would be pretty minor, but unfortunately I'm not a
programmer and so I can't help them.  There are problems with:

1. sound support (on YDL 2.1/2.2, at least, none of these programs seem
to be able to open /dev/dsp)
2. video distortion (looks like you are looking through some kind of
mosaic window, and this is both with send and receive)

There may be more.

Hugh

--
"We can't stop here, this is bat country" - Hunter S. Thompson
Hugh Caley hcaley@looPLEASEREMOVEer.com