Fix for transaction set error? (was "RE: Startup items")

Aaron Madlon-Kay yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 20 14:16:01 2002

Oh yes, the fix for the transaction set error.  I'm not sure exactly
which
of the things I did fixed the problem, but it's working, so I'll
leave it
at that.

Here's what I did:

1.  Used a bigger hard drive.  I got my PowerBook's old 6gig hard drive
to work in the Performa by using a special mounting bracket for 2.5"
disks.
If you are trying to install on a small disk, upgrade.  Or reduce
the number
of packages you install.  My root partition was set to about 4gigs.

2.  Switched video cards.  At this point, I don't remember which one
I used
for installation, but I'm pretty sure it was my ATI RageII, not the
Valkyrie.

3.  Switched kernels.  The install always failed with the 2.4
kernel, but
with a certain combination of video card and kernel (2.2 and ATI?)
it installed
with no problems.

So for those of you with installer problems, try switching kernels.  If
problems persist, see if you can grab an old PCI video card from
somewhere
(I'm sure they can be had cheap).

I'm pretty sure that's all I did.  If I remember anything else, I'll
post it.

-wataru

PS.  And now that I've helped you guys, how about someone help me
with my
startup items question!?