Fix for transaction set error? (was "RE: Startup items")

Jeff Berman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 22 10:19:01 2002

On 4/20/02 1:15 PM, "Aaron Madlon-Kay" <wataru@qwest.net> wrote:

> Oh yes, the fix for the transaction set error.  I'm not sure exactly which of
> the things I did fixed the problem, but it's working, so I'll leave it at
> that.

After a lot of experimentation, I was able to install YD 2.2 on my Performa
6400.  I didn't have the transaction set error, but rather the installer
would crash during the installation.

What made it finally work was to install using the 2.2 kernel instead of
2.4.  Now that it's installed, I'm able to boot up using the 2.4 kernel.  It
hasn't been stress tested, but everything appears to work so far.  Oh, this
is with a 5GB root partition and the built-in Valkyrie video.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear that the transaction set error
is caused by insufficient disk space.  This could occur either by actually
not having enough disk space, or by a bug (?) in the installer where the
mount points get messed up and the installer tries to copy packages into the
swap partition (which rapidly gets filled up).  According to other people on
the list, the solution for the latter is to perform a custom installation,
set the mount points, then go back to the mount points a second time to
verify they were written out correctly.

Jeff