another stab at my compiler problem

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 22 08:22:01 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Joe Auty wrote:
>I don't quite have enough HD space for an install which would include
>compiler support. As it is, I'm trying to figure out which RPMs I'd need
>to install to add compiler (gcc) support to an existing install (the
>internet server package).

 What I would recommend is installing the base install and then adding
what you need on top of it (this is what I do for all my servers). Last
summer Takashi Oe posted this handy list:

autoconf
automake
binutils
bison
blt
byacc
bzip2-devel
cdecl
cpp
cproto
ctags
cvs
diffutils
flex
gcc-*
gdb
gettext
glibc-devel
gperf
indent
libtool
libtool-libs
m4
make
patch
readline-*
rcs
rgrep
rsh
rsync
sed
sharutils
strace
texinfo
tclx
tix
tk
tkinter
umb-scheme
unarj
unzip
zlib
zlib-devel

 Usually what I do is install most of these and then compile anything else
I need from source (like apache + openssl + mod_php, Postgres, openssh,
etc.). For most publically accessible apps, I would strongly recommend
compiling from source. This way, if there is an exploit found, you can
likley have a patch long before you would be able to find any RPMs
available (especially for PPC). Also, this gives you the option to change
any compile time options that you might need that aren't normally compiled
into any distro RPMs. It takes me a little under an hour to do a base
install and compile all server apps (and a new kernel).

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh