another stab at my compiler problem

Joe Auty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 22 07:53:01 2002

Hi,

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I wanted to repeat my initial
question in the hopes that my inability to express my problem was
preventing a response (no sarcasm intended)....

I don't quite have enough HD space for an install which would include
compiler support. As it is, I'm trying to figure out which RPMs I'd need
to install to add compiler (gcc) support to an existing install (the
internet server package). Right now, I'm getting error messages when I
go to compile anything saying that "gcc could not create executables".
This happens everytime I run a configure script, and more specifically,
when it is testing for whether GCC works.

I've installed (using the included RPMs from the CD):

make
binutils
cpp
gcc

What else would I need?

If it isn't certain as to what RPMs I need to install to compile,
perhaps somebody can enlighten me as to how I can compile/install GCC
from the source code without a compiler to build this with? Sounds kind
of like the chicken/egg thing in my case... =)

Many thanks in advance!

---
Joe Auty
joe@netmusician.org