Single user mode after failing fsck-reinstall?

Aurel Wisse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 23 21:40:01 2002

OK, I tried to boot a newly compiled kernel, it hangs
on startup whirring the HD, and when whirring stops I
shut down (power off) my iMac (Rev. B).

On reboot I the root partition doesn't pass fsck and
drops into single user mode. I succeed in "repairing"
the root partition with fsck so that it boots, but
there is likely some damage left.

So my question is whether it is advisable that I wipe
everything (root, bootloader and swap) and bring it
back to "unassigned" with Drive Setup from the MacOS
CD (if that's possible) and start over?

Thanks, Aurel

I guess my main question is whether it's worth
crossing  fingers here or start from scratch.