Adjusting Monitor Settings

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 24 10:26:01 2002

Q:	Is it possible to adjust the monitor's "sleep" settings
	from the command line?  Or is it a kernel parameter?

Background:  After several years of coping with a big monitor
and a small desk, I've been able to get a 15" flat panel ADC.
It works great for what I do except when the monitor tries to
put itself to sleep.  The display turns bright white with a
few brighter white lines running vertically.  I know it can't
be good for it, so I have to check on it every 10-15 minutes
to make sure it's not burning in.  This gets pretty inconvenient,
since I have to shut down the machine to go to a meeting or
when I go to lunch.

I thought this would be something you could set with fbset,
but can't find anything in the man page or docs about sleep
settings.

The machine is a G4-400 with a Rage 128 Pro PF AGP card running
kernel 2.4.19-pre6-ben0.

My needs for the monitor are pretty simple.  Everything I do
is from the command line.  I use 'screen' to flip to different
windows.  Although I don't have X installed, I might install
it sometime.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Here's some (hopefully) useful system information:
[ken@byteme ken]$ uname -a
Linux byteme 2.4.19-pre6-ben0 #1 Sat Apr 6 04:19:04 EST 2002 ppc unknown
[ken@byteme ken]$ dmesg | grep fb
aty128fb: Rage128 Pro PF (AGP) [chip rev 0x1] 16M 128-bit SDR SGRAM (1:1)
fb0: ATY Rage128 frame buffer device on PCI
[ken@byteme ken]$ /usr/sbin/fbset -fb /dev/fb -i

mode "1024x768-60"
    # D: 64.994 MHz, H: 48.359 kHz, V: 59.998 Hz
    geometry 1024 768 1024 768 8
    timings 15386 126 58 29 3 136 6
    accel true
    rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
    Name        : ATY Rage128
    Address     : 0x94000000
    Size        : 16777216
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : PSEUDOCOLOR
    XPanStep    : 8
    YPanStep    : 1
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 1024
    MMIO Address: 0x90000000
    MMIO Size   : 8191
    Accelerator : Unknown (32)

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC