xhost when changing locations

Mark T. Valites yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 29 06:39:01 2002

Rarely do I shut down my laptop.  I take it back & forth from home .
I have wireless at both, so that is the only interface I run.  A quick
restart of the network when I arrive at either location & I'm set to go.
Sometimes however, when I switch locations & attempt to open an X app, I
get connection refused by server errors.  If I set my DISPLAY environment
variable to the updated value of ${HOSTNAME}:0.0, it still doesn't seem to
work.  When I xhost +localhost, I get an error of unable to open display
for the update $HOSTNAME.  I know this is really simple - what am I doing
wrong (I'll be kicking myself for this later...)

And is there any software out there that will swith locations
automatically like OS X does?  I'd prefer something that runs as a daemon
instead of the couple really small shell scripts I've written.
That was one of the very few things I liked about X.

Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst
1 College Circle - 124b1 South Hall
SUNY Geneseo