VNC-Server 3.3.3r2 from YDL 2.2 tasty CD crashes

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 29 08:30:01 2002

Hi Romeyn,

when starting the vncserver, you usually see a message stating that it
will start the programs from ~/.vnc/xstartup.
This script is created when you start the server for the first time, and
usually starts xterm and twm only. Check this script, and edit it to
your needs. On my PM7500/100 I run a plain YDL2.2 Home/Office
installation [I couldn't get vncserver from the YDL2.2 tasty CD to work]
and installed vnc-3.3.3r2-1.ppc.rpm from rpmfind.net. It runs nice and
stable.

My xinitrc looks as follows:
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
exec gnome-session &

That's all I need, GNOME then starts and I have a fully functioning
remote desktop I can access.

> I installed this same RPM and am having a problem getting the server
> to run at all.  I have tried running 'vncserver' both as root and as
> my regular user account.  In each case I get a log that looks like
> this:
> -----
> Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/lib/X11/rgb'
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 Xvnc version 3.3.3
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 All Rights Reserved.
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 See http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc for
> information on VNC
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 Desktop name 'X' (my.host.my.domain:1)
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 Protocol version supported 3.3
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
> 26/04/02 19:47:26 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5801
> 26/04/02 19:47:26   URL http://my.host.my.domain:5801
> _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

It seems as if the Xvnc server can't find your fonts server - can you
start X locally on the machine and start any desktop on the attached
screen? It is necessary that all the stuff for a working X environment
is installed on the machine. Xvnc is just an alternate, virtual server,
but relies on all the other X stuff such as the font server ...

[... snip ...]

> I tried downloading and compiling the source from att labs, but that
> craps out too.
>
> A linux guru froend offered the following observation before he had
> to leave for the day: "this version runs *the* initrc file for your
> system (which non-root users can't do)"
>
> I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I get the same log whether I
> run as "me" or as root.  Is there a TerraSoft-sanctioned RPM of VNC
> for YDL 2.1 I can snarf from somewhere?
>
> ...ROMeyn

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040