CUPS and java

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 1 14:02:01 2002

  Hello everyone -

I have a couple questions about CUPS. I haven't gotten my printer to
work with the software that came with YDL 2.2, although the network is
unreachable error went away (thanks Larry!). Now I just get nothing, so
I thought I would try CUPS. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten very far. I
followed the HOWTO on the YDL web site, and I got to the point of
extracting the spec file, and I get "tar: cups-1.1.15-1/cups.spec: Not
found in archive." I'm wondering if the fact that the download quit with
"download complete" when the status window said it was only 99%
finished. Did it miss something? I tried the US mirror, the Finnish one,
and the German one. The German one quit with 0 Mb in the file. The US
and Finnish ones gave the 99% finished result. Is there another site I
can download from or something else I can do to fix this?

Some more questions: Is there a specific driver for the Apple
LaserWriter Select 310 that I can get for free? The commercial packages
that the CUPS company has indicate a driver for this printer, but it
looks like I'll have to spend $49 to get thousands of drivers when I
might need two at the most. It also looks like this is only available
for Intel Linux. Maybe I'm misunderstanding their web site. If there
isn't a specific driver for free, is there a generic driver for
postscript level 1?

I also tried installing the Java runtime environment from the Penguin
PPC web site. The first time I tried to use it, I got the message that I
needed the plugin. After I quit Mozilla and tried again, I got to the
interface, but the text was displayed funny - half the word was visible,
part of the phrase was missing etc. - and when I tried to submit
information I typed, nothing happened. I think I followed all the
instructions when I installed and everything seemed to work. The
about:plugins listed several things that had java in the name. Any ideas
about what's wrong?

Thanks,

Cindy