static-routes

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 2 21:04:01 2002

On Fri Aug 2 2002, Guy McArthur wrote:

> > > Can anyone tell me whatthe format of the file
> > >   /etc/sysconfig/static-routes
> > > is supposed to be?
> >
> > I think this is what you're looking for:
> >

> > http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/tips/Network-Config-Tips/Network-Config-Tips-4.html
> >
> Thanks! That looks to be it. Though a little investigation showed that
> the device name should be 'any'.
>
> E.g. the statement
>  grep "^any" /etc/sysconfig/static-routes
> in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network selects which static routes to add.

Hi Guy,

A little investigation, like a little knowledge, can be a dangerous
thing.  :-)

Actually the device name _should_ be the actual interface name that
the route should be associated with, e.g. eth0 or ppp0.  See the file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes, called by ifup-post,
called by ifup, called by /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (that's for eth
interfaces, ppp is handled a little differently through /etc/ppp/ip-up).

Of course all that info is from my little investigation.  :-)

If you only have a single eth0 interface, the "any" designation may
also work fine (I haven't tried it that way).

						-Regards

						-Bill