Comparing 2 Notebooks running Linux

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Aug 3 22:38:00 2002

Hi all (again),

I'm trying to compare the usefullness of two machines, the contesters are=
:
PowerBook G4/667, 30 GB Toshiba HDD, 512 MB RAM, 667 MHz G4
Acer TravelMate 521TXV, 40 GB Toshiba HDD (30 for Linux), 512 MB RAM, 600=
 Mhz=20
Pentium-III

The Mac is running YDL 2.3, the Acer runs RedHat 7.3 + all the patches.

I have configured both of the machines virtually identical, as gar as tht=
 is=20
possible. I want to check the speeds on both of these machines, see which=
 one=20
does things the best way. I started a database load into a PostgreSQL=20
database, which is very disk intensive. The Acer is currently much more=20
responsive, the PowerBook is very very sluggish - hmmmm - the Powerbook i=
s=20
mine, whereas the Acer belongs to my employer ... So, clearly, I want the=
=20
PowerBook to come out the winner in this contest, but for now, It looks l=
ike=20
the Acer is doing a little better.

Does anybody know of any other objective tests I can run to compare the t=
wo?

Best regards,
Chris