DVD software

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 5 21:43:01 2002

On Mon Aug 5 2002, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:

> At 11:09 AM -0400 8/5/02, Bill Fink wrote:
>
> >I now know it's possible to get acceptable performance on a G3 400,
> >so hang in there.
>
> Is your G3 400 a Blue & White or a Pismo?  It might well make a
> difference whether you're using a 100 MHz bus or a 66 MHz bus -- I'm
> sure DVD playback uses considerable memory bandwidth.

Hi Tim,

It wasn't me.  It was Neill Miller and he said he was getting acceptable
video and audio watching DVDs with xine on his G3 400 Pismo.  I personally
have a dual 500 MHz G4 running a UP kernel (because of MOL) and watching
a DVD only uses about 1/2 the CPU without DRI/DMA being enabled and about
1/3 the CPU with DRI/DMA enabled (of course xine is optimized to use
Altivec on the G4).

						-Bill