sleep on tibook/XFree86

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Aug 6 17:51:01 2002

At 08:26 -0500 on 6-8-2002 David Dahl wrote:

 > I have no problems with sleep, my tibook g4/400 works just like
 > under OS X.  I recompiled my kernel the other day, and that is why,
 > I am sure.

Hmm, I also recompiled the benh kernel, most recently a couple of
hours ago. It does indeed work better than the stock YDL kernel, but I
still have problems with waking up XFree86. In fact, it's the same
problem, namely that the display flickers a bit and goes dark again
(failsafe mode? I think I read about something like this a while ago,
don't quite remember when or where).

Again, except the display everything works, I am able to switch VTs
and reboot the machine, etc. etc. So I started to look into what
XFree86 actually does, and here is what I found:

The kernel says at boot time (between other things):

radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=36675 from OF
radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from EDID: 1280x854
radeonfb: pm reg @50, clk_pwrmgt: f17500, pll_pwrmgt: a027e01f, mdll_cko: 980098
radeonfb: ATI Radeon M7 LW  DDR SGRAM 32 MB

This is from /var/log/dmesg, so far so good. But then XFree86 has a
slightly different opinion on the matter (again at startup, this is
from /var/log/XFree86.0.log):

(--) PCI:*(0:16:0) ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW rev 0, Mem @ 0xb8000000/27, 0xb0000000/16, I/O @ 0x0400/8, BIOS @ 0xb0020000/17

Again, so far so good, but a bit afterwards:

(II) RADEON(0): No legacy BIOS found -- trying PCI
(EE) RADEON(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (5)
(WW) RADEON(0): Video BIOS not detected, using default PLL parameters!
(II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=67 min=12500 max=35000; xclk=16615

As you can see, those default PLL parameter are slightly different
from the reality (or OF, take your pick), and I am starting to wonder
whether this is the thing that causes the whole problem.

So, my next questions are: Does anybody know how to convince the
XFree86 driver to read the BIOS of the graphic card? Failing this, how
can the default PLL parameters be changed?

By the way, do not compare the two tibooks (rev II and III) lightly,
there have been some discusions about things that work on rev II and
do not on rev III. Some of these things I experienced myself, but I am
sure there's more to discover. ;-)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.