No sound - PBG3/FW, YDL 2.3

art yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 8 17:47:01 2002

   From: Andrew Schaaf
   Date: Thu Aug 8 15:26:01 2002

   I have YDL 2.3 running nicely on by PowerBook G3/Firewire ("Pismo").
   Nicely except for one thing: No sound.
    [...]
   Any idea what I can do to get sound running?

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem on my Lombard. Here's the
silly thing I did which got it working. Couldn't say why
or if it's repeatable or if there's a simpler solution, but:

1. In /etc/sysconfig/desktop change
     DESKTOP=KDE
     DESKTOP=GNOME

2. Reboot and log in.

3. Don't panic, it's only Gnome.

4. Stick a CD in your drive.

5. Find and start the Gnome CD Player in the
   task-bar/panel/launcher thingie.

6. Rock and roll!

7. Like Gnome, then keep it, otherwise change
   /etc/sysconfig/desktop back to KDE.

8. Log out, log in.

The startup warning about /dev/dsp should go away,
and sound should just work.

This is the first YDL release where sound actually works
for me on my laptop. Makes it almost like a real computer.

--art