No sound - PBG3/FW, YDL 2.3

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 8 20:07:01 2002

At 16:49 -0700 on 8-8-2002 art wrote:

 > I had exactly the same problem on my Lombard. Here's the
 > silly thing I did which got it working. Couldn't say why
 > or if it's repeatable or if there's a simpler solution, but:
 >
 > 1. In /etc/sysconfig/desktop change
 >      DESKTOP=KDE
 >      DESKTOP=GNOME
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > 8. Log out, log in.

My educated guess is that for some strange reason your KDE does not
load the sound modules (and the Gnome CD player does--I knew why I am
a Gnome fan even without this!).  Try the command lsmod (you may need
to log in as root first).  It should output between other things some
lines looking like

   dmasound_pmac          54488   0 (autoclean)
   dmasound_core          13496   0 (autoclean) [dmasound_pmac]
   soundcore               4616   3 (autoclean) [dmasound_core]

If you don't see this stuff, log in as root (if you haven't done it
already) and issue the command

   modprobe dmasound_pmac

Sound should begin to work automagically (not even a re-login to the
KDE desktop should be required in principle!).

If upon the next boot you get the same problem edit the file
/etc/modules.conf (creating it if nonexistent) and insert in there the
following lines:

   alias sound-slot-0 dmasound_pmac
   alias sound-slot-1 dmasound_pmac
   alias sound-service-0-0 dmasound_pmac
   alias sound-service-0-3 dmasound_pmac
   alias sound-service-1-0 dmasound_pmac
   alias sound dmasound_pmac

You may not need all of them, but they don't hurt either. ;-) Issue
then (as root) the command

   depmod -a

Of course, if this does not solve the problem it means that I am
totally wrong and the actual cause is something else...

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.