anyone running MySQL Server?

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 9 04:34:01 2002

On Thursday, August 8, 2002, at 10:14  PM, david wrote:

> I am only able to run the server deamon as:  safe_mysqld -u root
> which according to their doc's is not desirable:

Definitely not desirable from a security perspective,

> I would really like to connect as below: i have add mysql as a user in
> /etc/passwd.

Did you add the mysql group?

> Any other ideas? thanks in advance.

Build/install the rpm instead of using the tar directly.  The install
script in the rpm will take care of this kind of stuff for you.
Version management is also easier this way,

Fwiw /var/log/mysqld.log should look like:

-rw-r--r--    1 mysql    root          209 Jul  9 07:57
/var/log/mysqld.log

--
reshapiro@attbi.com