YDL 2.3/XEmacs

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 9 07:45:01 2002

At 06:27 -0400 on 9-8-2002 R Shapiro wrote:

 > I _always_ use rpms when possible, rather than building directly from
 > tars and installing in /usr/local.  Packaged software is much easier to
 > deal with, and rpms are usually easy to find.

Personally, I prefer to build from sources whenever I have a choice.
To me, this does offer more flexibility, and I like in general to
tweak around and not simply follow the instructions.  The outcome is
better more often than not.  Of course, at times this does generate
troubles as well, so I do not necessarily recommend it to anyone. ;-)

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.