Mac keyboard question

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Aug 10 09:55:01 2002

Hi,

Where does the console command kbdconfig look for available keymaps, and
is there a way to manipulate this ?

Here is why I ask

I was one of many non-us YDL users whose keyboard was wrongly mapped.

I followed the How-To 'How to create a french keyboard' on the YDL
support page to get it fixed. It didn't completely work for me, but with
some extra experimenting I now have a working keyboard. Hurray !

But now for the question:
It is about the command 'kbdconfig'

The rpm that the How-To refers to saves a keyboard map in
/usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/mac/azerty/mac-fr-ext_new.kmap.gz

If I run kbdconfig as per the instructions, the new keymap is not in the
list. I'm not too surprised about that, because all keymaps on my system
are in /lib/kbd/keymaps instead of /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps.

So I copied the keymap to /lib/kbd/keymaps/mac/azerty/mac-fr-ext_new.kmap.gz

and ran kbdconfig again. Also this time the keymap was not in the list.

So finally I copied the keymap to
/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/azerty/mac-fr-ext_new.kmap.gz

and now kbdconfig found it.

Why didn't kbdconfig find the keymap when it was stored in the mac
directory ?

Thanks,
Geert