Converting OS X AddressBook to KAddress?

Angela Kahealani yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 19 18:54:01 2002

Stefan Bruda wrote:

>  >
>  > FOR EXPORT. I could select multiple entries, but then the menu
>  > item to export vcard would grey-out and become unavailable. It
>  > would only become available again when I deselected down to only
>  > a single entry.
> --text follows this line--
> You can always write a small AppleScript program to automate the
> process can't you.  It would be just a looping line down and then
> export...
>
> Stefan

Yes, it is possible to program around Apple's bugs and design
deficiencies, but one of the reasons to run YDL/KDE/MOL or
MacOSuX is to get AWAY FROM Apple proprietary technologies like,
say, oh, for example, AppleScript. You must have missed my
posting pointing-out that the export of VCards which
AppleAddressBook DOES do one at a time, which MAY be
AppleScriptable, does NOT export all the fields in the
AddressBook database. Since I imported from a database with a
nuimber of other fields, that renders AppleAddressBook
untenable, especially in combination with it's lame import
ability that requires manual assignment of fields on EACH
import, thus precluding keeping the main database externally to
Apples System Wide Integrated Address Book database and
autoimporting on every change in the external database.

Besides, any program that can import should correspondingly
export, or it has been POLITICALLY designed, not rationally
designed. I'm leaving the MacOS World as much as possible
because all their design decisions are political any more. As an
engineer, that really rubs me the wrong way.

I COULD write an entire operating system and windowing system
from the assembler level on up (and have done so as of 1978 on a
16-bit minicomputer), but the point of purchasing a packaged
deal is to not have to reinvent those wheels. The point of YDL
is to go to NON-PROPRIETARY solutions. If I want maximum utility
and minimum stability on my computer, I just keep running
MacOS9. Running a proprietary house of cards is the problem I'm
trying to solve by going to UNIX based OS, and so far neither
MacOSuX nor YDL, as installed by the installers, comes close to
being a workable system on my OldWorld Macintosh. I specifically
REFUSE to allow Apple's proprietary packaging of hardware with
software to force an upgrade of hardware, which is why I'm
running YDL in my spare time... and therefore why I'm reading
this mailing list to try to figure out how to get open source to
actually work, since TerraSoftSolutions' installer didn't
deliver a working package, and no amount of yup or apt-get
update/upgrades solved the configuration problems inherant in
how TSS's installer installed/configured YDL. The keyboard ain't
mapped right, the KDE desktop isn't aligned right on my main
monitor, my secondary monitor doesn't work at all, and I can't
get to my data on my HFS+ partition, which is the only format
even remotely compatible between the three OS's I'm running here
during transition. Nevermind will I be able to back-up my YDL
system onto the 1st generation (2.6GB/side) DVD-RAMs I use via
both an IDE and SCSI drive. There is yet needed much
figuring-out how to configure YDL, which is why I'm reading this
and every other mailing list out of TSS, as well as too many
Linux UseNet NewsGroups.
--
Copyright 2002 Angela Kahealani. All Rights Reserved Without
Prejudice, UCC 1-207. All information and transactions are