Converting OS X AddressBook to KAddress?

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 19 20:10:01 2002

At 14:54 -1000 on 2002-8-19 Angela Kahealani wrote:

 > Yes, it is possible to program around Apple's bugs and design
 > deficiencies, but one of the reasons to run YDL/KDE/MOL or
 > MacOSuX is to get AWAY FROM Apple proprietary technologies like,
 > say, oh, for example, AppleScript.

Wait a sec.  We were talking here about _transferring_ data from Mac
OS to something else (Linux, say).  What's the big deal in a
_one_time_ use of proprietary technology for such a purpose (i.e., get
rid henceforth of the proprietary technology)?

I just provided a potential solution.  It may be a good one or it may
not, I am not claiming expert status or something and I could have
been dead wrong.  It might suit your needs or it might not.  In any
case, the only answer I did not expect in this deluge of flames (to me
and to others that discussed the matter in this thread).  But now that
you did just that, here I am firing back:

Had it crossed your mind that your engineering skills (yes, the ones
that are rubbed the wrong way ;-) ), or rather the lack thereof,
prevent you from using Linux in general and transferring data between
Mac OS and Linux in particular?  As an engineer and (your claim again)
person familiar with Unix, you could have fixed the keyboard mapping,
desktop allignment, file transfer, and so on in a snap.  I am by all
means far from an engineer (I work in theoretical computer science,
and except in my spare time I do programming only for the courses that
I teach--which is to say toy assignments and such, and only in high
level languages such as Lisp and Haskell) but I did succeed in having
a working YDL distribution on a machine that in part is not even
supported by TerraSoft.  By simply doing my homework on the Web,
reading the documentation, and trying things out.  I have been
frustrated at times (still am about the impossibility of putting my
machine to sleep), but I did not flame whatever list I could lay my
hands on because of this.

Blaming the OS/distro for your ignorance is no solution either.

Just for my curiosity: Since you hate so much OS X, how come that you
used it for that long as to collect this large database of contacts,
as large in fact as to be next to impossible to export by hand
_one_time_only_?

 > There is yet needed much figuring-out how to configure YDL, which
 > is why I'm reading this and every other mailing list out of TSS, as
 > well as too many Linux UseNet NewsGroups.

Flames ain't getting you anywhere.  In particular, I shall henceforth
completely ignore your postings (questions included), just as many
subscribers to this list undoubtedly do already.

Cheers,
Stefan

Copyright (C) 2002 Stefan D. Bruda.  All rights reserved.  By reading
this, you hereinafter agree to abide by all the terms and conditions
that I shall set from time to time, as well as the Geneva Convention,
the U.N. Charter and the Secret Membership Oath of the Benevolent
Protective Order of the Loons, take it or leave it, until death do us
part, finders keepers, losers weepers, thanks you've been a great
crowd, and don't forget to tip your servers.

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.