Solved: Unable to login: XFree fails

Alban Fellows yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Aug 20 12:58:01 2002

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 07:27, Konstantin Riabitsev wrote:
> Sure. Configure two mice under X and then it will use whichever one is
> available. Note that you can't use nice and pretty gui tools for that --
> they can only handle the idea of one mouse being present on the system,
> not two or more, one of which can be absent at random times.

I thought this is what the new input layer was all about.
I used to have a G3 with LinuxPPC on it and I bought a USB optical mouse with
the scroll wheel. Once the USB HID drivers coped with the mouse I could use
both the original ADB mouse and the USB mouse. I even managed 2 keyboards the
same way.

Basically there is a new device /dev/input/mice which is a psaux compatible
mixed output from all mice on the system. If you symlink /dev/mouse to that
then you can run gpm and X at the same time with no problems as the device
supports multiopen.

You do need to check if your kernel has this support activated, but I believe
the default is to include it.

Just my 2 pennyworth

Alban