Printing to an AppleTalk printer under YDL 2.3?

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 23 05:47:01 2002

Hi everybody,

How does one setup YDL 2.3 to be able to print to networked AppleTalk
printers?

I have searched the YDL site, as well as the CUPS documentation, to find
anything about printing to an AppleTalk Printer - no success so far. We
have a lab here at school, that runs five networked AppleTalk printers,
and I would like to be able to print from my ANS, running YDL 2.3, to
any of these printers.

I remember, there used to be a tool [I think it was called printtool],
that allowed to setup an AppleTalk printer. It is not installed by
default any more. Do I still need that, or is there an easy way through
CUPS?

Note: I have no printer attached to the machine locally, all printing
has to go over the ethernet via AppleTalk, as our printers here do not
support lpr or IP printing, but solely AppleTalk.

Any suggestions, or hints on where I can find appropriate docs
appreciated!

Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040