relocation

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Aug 25 15:55:01 2002

At 5:03 PM +0200 8/25/02, Aurelio Bay wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have installed a new ATA disk Seagate ST340016A on a G3 B&W.
>I experienced R/W errors.

You probably have the Revision 1 motherboard.  Its IDE controller is
buggy and will have problems if you install two drives; did you leave
the original drive installed?

The Rev 1 B&W G3 board can also have problems with single drives if
the drive is one of the models it doesn't like to talk to.  I've
never heard of somebody using that particular Seagate before, so it
might be an example.

>Following the instructions from FWB,
>I reconfigured from UltraDMA2 to Multiword DMA2 using HDT.

That will only affect MacOS.  Linux does not use MacOS disk drivers like FWB's.

>Then I installed YD 2.3 on a free portion of the same disk.
>During boot, I get the following msgs:

(lots of CRC errors)

>Then the system comes up without any problmes (apparently).

I wouldn't trust it.  :)

>Any suggestion on how to reconfigure the system to get a correct
>behaviour ?

You need to either get down to a single drive on the UDMA33
controller (in which case you can do UDMA if your drive is one of
those compatible with the B&W Rev 1 board), or force multiword DMA
mode 2 like you tried to do.

To force it on Linux, you need to do two things.  First, you need to
keep the Linux kernel from autotuning IDE speeds.  You can do this by
editing /etc/yaboot.conf, then running ybin to reinstall the boot
loader.  For each kernel image listed, you need to have an 'append'
line as follows:

image=/boot/vmlinux
         label=linux
         root=/dev/hda11
         append="hda=noautotune hdb=noautotune"

If there's already an append= line, just add the noautotune
statements to what's there already.

After you do that and run ybin to install the boot loader, your
system will boot with PIO on hda and hdb.  Very slow.  To allow the
boot scripts to enable multiword DMA mode 2, edit
/etc/sysconfig/harddisks.  At the top, uncomment the line:

# USE_DMA=1

Now, go to the bottom of the file, and change

EXTRA_PARAMS=

EXTRA_PARAMS=-X34

(-X34 is MWDMA2 -- see the hdparm man page for all the possible
values you can put here)
--
Tim Seufert