qmail Setup

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 3 12:45:01 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:02:24PM -0500, Blake Skinner wrote:
> Made an attempt to setup qmail on my server. For the most part it
> works; I can recieve mail send to the machine. I run into problems,
> however, when I try to use the smtp portion of the program. The
> messages get accepted and pushed into the queue but when qmail attempts
> to send them, qmail-remote crashes. Here is an excerpt from the
> /var/log/qmail/current file:
>
> @400000003decdb6a24d5dcec status: local 0/10 remote 8/20
> @400000003decdb6a24e12f5c starting delivery 32: msg 132727 to remote
> <email>
> @400000003decdb6a24e14ab4 status: local 0/10 remote 9/20
> @400000003decdb6a28d9d8fc delivery 24: deferral: qmail-remote_crashed./
> @400000003decdb6a28da2b04 status: local 0/10 remote 8/20

Blake,

>From looking at that install doc you referenced, it creates a very
feature-rich (read bloated) qmail install.  Depending on what you
actually need qmail to do, you might want to consider a fresh
install.  Do you really need TLS? a list-serv? an IMAP server?  If so,
then you need to debug what you have.

I found this post doing a quick Google search:
http://www.sumthin.nu/archives/qmail/Jun_2001/msg00162.html

If you want to try what Charles suggests in this post, I believe
the appropriate syntax for strace would be:
  [root@byteme /root]# strace -p 1234 -ff -o /tmp/qmail-remote.strace

where 1234 is the processID of your qmail-remote process.  Then try
sending a message and see what is produced in these traces.

I'd be real interested in knowing what you find out.

--
-Ken Schweigert, Padawan Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC