SCSI Problem

Drew Lane yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 4 11:33:01 2002

> Definitely slow if it's the original 1GB Fireball.  They were slow
> even back when they were new.  :)  However, I can't say that I've ever
> heard of one failing to show up in Linux before, and I don't recall
> such problems back when I was using a PowerMac 7500 with what was
> probably the same drive you've got.  Of course, that was back in the
> early days of the PowerMac port of Linux and the drivers have changed
> quite a bit since then...  for example, if the drivers now have a
> shorter timeout when scanning for devices, that could create problems
> for a slow-to-respond drive.

FYI, I just "fixed" the problem by replacing the original 1GB Fireball
with a slightly faster 1 GB HP SCSI drive I had lying around.

According to Ben H. the MESH driver in the Kernel I am using (2.4.18)
only waits for a few milliseconds for a response from the peripheral and
if it doesn't respond in time, it skips that drive.  Yikes!

Apparently, he has fixed this in Kernel 2.4.20-rcX, and it now waits for
four seconds before aborting.

Figures.

Drew