Antivirus?

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 3 13:51:01 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:48:38PM -0600, Jonathan Smith wrote:
> We're looking at creating a "gateway" mail server to filter mail sent
> to our regular mail server.  Basically what this machine would do would
> be to accept mail, scan it for viruses, then forward the mail to our
> main mailserver.  There's currently no anti-virus solution for our main
> mailserver and I can't just replace with a linux box since that will
> break compatibility with our user database system (we'll have no way to
> automatically add/remove mail accounts).
>
> Is anybody doing anti-virus scanning at the mail server using a linux
> based product on PowerPC hardware?  If so what are you using?

I've used OpenAntiVirus on my workstation for about 6 months now.
  http://www.openantivirus.org/
I've also have it installed on a webserver to keep uploaded virii off of
the server.  It's coded in Java so as long as you have the JRE installed,
you shouldn't have any problems.

In regards to scanning at the mailserver, I'm in the process of researching
that as we speak.  A lot of it depends on which MTA you're planning to use.
We primarily use qmail for our MTA so I'm leaning towards qmail-scanner
with either OAV or maybe ClamAV.  ClamAV is basically the C version of OAV.

If you get a configuration working for you, please post what you did.

-ken