Antivirus?

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 2 16:28:01 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 17:48, Jonathan Smith wrote:
> We're looking at creating a "gateway" mail server to filter mail sent
> to our regular mail server.  Basically what this machine would do would
> be to accept mail, scan it for viruses, then forward the mail to our
> main mailserver.  There's currently no anti-virus solution for our main
> mailserver and I can't just replace with a linux box since that will
> break compatibility with our user database system (we'll have no way to
> automatically add/remove mail accounts).
>
> Is anybody doing anti-virus scanning at the mail server using a linux
> based product on PowerPC hardware?  If so what are you using?
>
> Thanks
> Jonathan Smith

Hi,

I run mail through an x86 box & I use a product called MailScanner.
While I can't vouch that it will even work on ppc, it would strongly
suggest trying it.  If you can get it to compile, it's exactly what
you're looking for.

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/downloads.shtml

I've been using it for over a year now & it has yet to miss a virus.  It
works with a number of AV servers (I use Sophos), is also fairly easy to
setup.  It does a good job of filtering spam, too.

Check it out.

Good luck.

Will