iBook fan

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 3 21:40:01 2002

Hello,

Here is my stupid question.

I have a 500Mhz dual USB iBook, the first of the white ones that don't
look like brightly coloured toilet seats. Not long after I bought it I
installed Yellow Dog Linux 2.2, which was the latest release of YDL at
the time. I've since rebuilt the machine and it just has OSX 10.2.2
installed for the moment.

About the same time I installed YDL the internal fan started to run all
the time. The only time it ever stops is when the machine is asleep or
switched off. The fan actually starts spinning the moment the power
comes on. I've been quietly annoyed about the fan for quite awhile now
but it's only just occurred to me that it started running all the time
around the same time I installed YDL.

There is almost certainly no connection but I thought I'd ask anyway. I
suspect the fan is totally under hardware controls and the OS should
have no impact on its function but could there be a PRAM setting or
something that YDL has changed which could make this happen ?

Also, in anticipation of you all suggesting I take it straight to Apple
- the warranty has expired so it could be costly and I'm in Australia
where the likelihood of the local Apple supplier having a qualified
tech on site is pretty slim so my iBook that I use everyday and don't
want to be parted from would probably end up being sent interstate to
somebody who'd spend a month or more maybe possibly finding the problem
before returning the machine with a bill approaching the replacement
cost of the machine.

Greg