KDE Slowdown - Fixed!

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 4 18:27:01 2002

You're gonna love this one.

I had been setting up Samba on the YDL system et al. It seems that /etc/hosts somehow (probably due to operator ineptitude) lost the hostname in the first line. It read:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost

On a whim, I inserted the proper hostame back in:

127.0.0.1   raven   localhost.localdomain   localhost

and all is well in the world again, the old Wallstreet is back to being its snappy G3 300 self again.

Go Figure.
Anyone have an explanation for why the lack of the proper hostname caused glacial X performance?

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
I don't use Windows.
-----