APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Eddie Bindt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 5 00:15:01 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Bernard mentink wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have not had any success with apt-get.
>
> For example: I removed the distro Gostscript package with "rpm -e nodeps
> Gostscriptxxetc" which worked fine.

NEVER ! NEVER ! use --nodeps (while installing or removing) unless you are
ABSOLUTELY SURE what the impact of this action is ...
In the worst case, --nodeps wil leave you with a corrupt system and you
have to do a lot of manual actions or re-install ...

As a result of your action, apt- will have lots of problems with
dependancies ...

To keep your system healthy, ALWAYS follow deps, they are not there for
fun.

Eddie