APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 4 23:14:01 2002

on 12/4/02 9:34, ebike@paradise.net.nz purportedly said:

> I should be able to install/upgrade software by other means and not
> upset apt-get....... shouldn't I?
>
> Please correct me if I have done wrong ....

Well, you may be somewhat wrong this. RPM and APT are supposed to work
together seamlessly on YDL, but if you install software from tarballs there
is no packaging system in existence that can track it. Same goes if you
manually remove files from previously installed packages. However, this last
bit can be dealt with in some way, but is likely to cause problems due to
dependencies.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.