APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Stephen Reiach yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 4 22:31:01 2002

Firstly, I have to disagrea with the rabit dung analogy.. but I guess it always related to personal experience :-).

> For example: I removed the distro Gostscript package with "rpm -e nodeps
> Gostscriptxxetc" which worked fine.
> Then compiled and installed a new Gostscript source  package with
> --prefix=/usr so that the executable and libraries

Now did you make and install a source or rebuild a source rpm?

The only thing that makes me nervous is the 'nodeps' you used to remove it.  What i would *try* is to reinstall the old Ghostscript rpm and remove it without the nodeps. It might have affected the dependencey tree.  Or install is using RPM side by side with the new ghostscript package so the dependency is completed. But don't -force it, that never comes out good. :-)

> I should be able to install/upgrade software by other means and not
> upset apt-get....... shouldn't I?

Yes. I use both rpm and apt-get to add and remove software without an issue so far. :-)

Stephen R.