APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Bernard mentink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 4 21:34:00 2002

Hi All,

I have not had any success with apt-get.

For example: I removed the distro Gostscript package with "rpm -e nodeps
Gostscriptxxetc" which worked fine.
Then compiled and installed a new Gostscript source  package with
--prefix=/usr so that the executable and libraries

Now, later on I want to get a different package using apt-get, so I do a
apt-get update, then "apt-get install packagexxx",
and what do I find? apt-get complains about the Gostscript package
having un-met dependancies and exits.
I can not get the new package (a totally different package) I
want......also can not "upgrade" my system till I fix these dependancies
issues.
(by the way, an apt-get -f does not help!) This is absolutly
rediciulous.....to be polite.

I should be able to install/upgrade software by other means and not
upset apt-get....... shouldn't I?

Please correct me if I have done wrong ....

Cheers,
Bernie