APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Bernard Mentink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 5 12:27:01 2002

>NEVER ! NEVER ! use --nodeps (while installing or removing) unless you are
>ABSOLUTELY SURE what the impact of this action is ...
>In the worst case, --nodeps wil leave you with a corrupt system and you
>have to do a lot of manual actions or re-install ...

>As a result of your action, apt- will have lots of problems with
>dependancies ...

>To keep your system healthy, ALWAYS follow deps, they are not there for
>fun.

You are being somewhat simplistic in your view my friend.

I tried to remove my distro version of Ghostscript with rpm -e, but it
complained about dependancies. Since there is no documentation
on how to remove those dependancies apart from the -nodeps option, I fail to
see the what else I could have done .... please enlighten me to the correct
procedure.

Keep in mind that the version of Ghostscript I was trying to upgrade to (ijs
support)  was only available in tar-ball form, please outline the correct
procedure to
use to remove the old distro rpm version and update with the tar-ball
version.

Your comment above is obvious, what is not obvious is some constructive
direction to resolve this.

--

Cheers,
Bernie Mentink.

So, don't forget, kids: Tell Everybody Everything You Know. Life is too
short for secrets.