APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Eddie Bindt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 5 12:47:00 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Bernard Mentink wrote:

> >To keep your system healthy, ALWAYS follow deps, they are not there for
> >fun.
>
> You are being somewhat simplistic in your view my friend.
>
> I tried to remove my distro version of Ghostscript with rpm -e, but it
> complained about dependancies. Since there is no documentation
> on how to remove those dependancies apart from the -nodeps option, I fail to
> see the what else I could have done .... please enlighten me to the correct
> procedure.
>
> Keep in mind that the version of Ghostscript I was trying to upgrade to (ijs
> support)  was only available in tar-ball form, please outline the correct
> procedure to
> use to remove the old distro rpm version and update with the tar-ball
> version.
>
> Your comment above is obvious, what is not obvious is some constructive
> direction to resolve this.

What about building your own new ghostscript .rpm ? Build it from source
and the .rpm you will get, should be able to upgrade the distro
ghostscript and your dependancies will keep on working ...

If there is no .spec or .scr.rpm, studi "maximum rpm" and build your own .

Eddie