recommendation for stats and linear algebra software for PPC Linux

Kevin B. Hendricks yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 5 18:08:01 2002

Hi,

I need to get back into doing linear algebra and statistics again (basic
statistics, eigenvectors, regression, principal components, factor
analysis, structural equation modeling at the level of SAS, SPSS, LISREL,
etc.

I have found links to netlib and the literally tons of free/public domain
software available for doing math and statistics.

I spent the afternoon downloading R (the GPL clone of Splus) and Octave,
and the old EISPack source I remember using once a long time ago, and also
downloaded blas, atlas, and lapack.

There is alot of stuff out there.

If I am first and foremost looking for something to replace SAS/stat and
SPSS primarily for statistics, general linear models, regression instead
of my now ancient fortran code that invoked EISPACK routines to solve
linear models,  are these the right packages to be looking at and playing
with?

If not, what should I be using?

Ideas and recommendations welcome.

Thanks,