APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 5 19:51:01 2002

Hi,

Stefan Bruda wrote:

> around.  But then I did not have time to investigate how to do it.
> Maybe somebody knowledgeable could summarize the procedure here?

It's not that difficult if you look for src.rpms instead of tarballs. A
src.rpm is a thinly disguised "rpmized" tarball plus a handy
packagename.spec-file, which describes how the binary-rpm is to be build,
what dependencies are there etc. As source is (mostly) platform-independent=
,
you'll get pretty current stuff here;
After a rpm -ihv of the src.rpm a rpm.spec-file goes to
/usr/[redhat,yellowdog,rpm]/src/SPECS, and the source-tarball goes to
(guess!) ../SOURCE  ... do a "rpmbuild -ba xxxx.spec" there and wait what
happens in the SRPMS and RPMS/ppc subdirectories when everything has
finished. It might be necessary to build the binary first running
./configure, make etc.

>=20
> Stefan

-- =20
|MARKUS DEISTLER                        msdeistler@freenet.de |
|KRIEMHILDSTR. 18, 90461 N=DCRNBERG,     MOBIL -> 0162/6906779  |
|                                        TEL -> 0911/4099232  |