no audio CD playback w/ PowerMac G4 Silver?

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 11 17:24:01 2002

At 21:27 +0100 on 2002-12-11 Albrecht Dre=DF wrote:

 > Everything works fine, including accessing the drive, writing cd's (=
using=20
 > ide_scsi) and ripping audio cd's, except playback of audio cd's. I t=
ried=20
 > grip and the gnome cd player, both with and without scsi emulation, =
and get=20
 > no errors but also no sound.

This is actually something known for at least three years: the modern
Macs lack the analog connexion between the CD-ROM drive and the sound
card, and thus normal playback of audio CDs is impossible.

The good news is that you can do playback using the cdread plugin for
XMMS.  To cite myself, :-) see

  http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2002-=
October/004297.html

(the URL above is on one line).  Note that the mentioned problem with
the OSS driver appears to be caused by endianness incompatibilities,
see also

  http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2002-=
April/000167.html

(again, the URL is on one line).  I have also heard of a command line
solution along the following line:

cdda2wav -C little -t 1+`cdir | tail -1 | sed 's/^..[^ ]* *//'` -D /dev=
/cdrom -N -e -d0 -I cooked_ioctl -q &

(again, the above command is all of it on one line).  I have not tried
it myself but it does make sense.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--=20
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
    --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass