Powermacs with G3/4-processor-upgrade will run YDL? Or not?

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 12 13:52:01 2002

Hi Markus,

> I plan to G3-upgrade an aging PPC7500 (which stubbornly refuses to die
> like my PPC6100). Unfortunately there isn't much information on that
> subject, I usually read statements like "it might or it might not work".
> Therefore I would like to elicit more info on upgraded machines.
> [...]

> 4) processor upgrades that replace the CPU-daughtercard in 7500-9500
> (9600/8600 may have an inline-cache and usually require special
> upgrades, I was told ... ?) and

I have a 7600/200 (originally a 604e @ 200 MHz).  Earlier this year I
purchased an XLR8 Carrier Zif with G3/300/512k Zif.  This was after
XLR8 closed their doors and these were on special, it is the earlier
model not the MPe version.  I was already running YDL2.1 at the time.
YDL 2.1 continued to run without problems after the upgrade, indeed I
found MOL ran more reliably (I had already upgraded MOL to a later
version since I could not get the version that came with YDL 2.1 to
run reliably).

The only complication is to get the cache setting to YDL (I boot with
BootX).  To do this you must run one of the extra utilities that comes
with BootX which gets the cache setting and passes it to BootX.  After
this the BootX option to pass the cache setting becomes highlighted
and can be checked.  Having done this the cache setting was correctly
passed to YDL and shown in /proc/cpuinfo etc.  I have no idea how to
do the equivalent if you boot using quik.

I have since upgraded from YDL 2.1 to 2.3 using apt-get and it
continued to run reliably.

[...]

--
Stephen Harker                                          sjh@ph.adfa.edu.au
School of Physics               Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell