KDE 3.1 RC 5

Brian Waite yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 19 08:23:01 2002

--Boundary-00=_QSeA+u6p7f1pR4+

A few people asked for this so I wroite up a very quick HOWTO. Let me know if
you have troubles or questions.

Thanks
Brian

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 3:05 pm, Brian Waite wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I wanted to report success with running KDe3.1 RC5 on a YDL 2.3 system.
> After getting tired of waiting for RPMS, I pulled down the latest
> konstruct. Konstruct is a great tool that will wget the QT and KDE
> pacakges, configure, build, and install (in a parallell tree) KDe 3.1RC5.
> It worked quite well for me. I think I only had 3 things to monkey with to
> make it work, for KDE that is a miracle I think. The best part is it
> compiles and installs in your home directory and tells you which env vars
> to set to run it. I would reccommend anyone who can to try it and report
> bugs with KDE3.1 on PPC before it is released. I only wish this tool was
> available months ago. If anyone would like to know how to make it work let
> me know. I will either tell interested parties or write up a HOWTO.
>

> Thanks
> Brian

--Boundary-00=_QSeA+u6p7f1pR4+

Building KDE 3.1RC5 on Yellowdog Linux 2.3

Introduction:
	Konstruct is a fantastic package that will install KDE 3.1RC5
	and a few other packages. This will describe the setps I had
	to take to build successfully. Fell free to mail me updates to
	the document or questions <waite@skycomputers.com>
Legend:
	% - User command prompt. These commands can be run a a general
	user
	# - Root command prompt. You must be root to run command.

Requirements:
o Yellowdog Linux 2.3 with all updates via apt-get
o An installation of All Packages was used so I know I had many libs
that others may not have. All I can say is ther should be on your
distro CD.

Pre-Installation:
There were a few libraries that I could not find in my tree or
outdated that are requied so I had to do a bit of work ahead of time.
o /usr/lib/libcdparanoia.a
  A new version on the cdparanioa RPM was needed. I used
cdparanoia-9.8-2cl.ppc.rpm from http://rpmfind.net and it installed cleanly.

o You may need to install a new version of cdda also:
   libcdda0-9.8-2cl.ppc.rpm
   libcdda-devel-9.8-2cl.ppc.rpm
   libcdda-devel-static-9.8-2cl.ppc.rpm

o /usr/lib/libart_lgpl.a
  This one is a bit harder.  Get libart_lgpl-2.3.11-1.src.rpm
  # rpm -ihv libart_lgpl-2.3.10-1.src.rpm
  # cd /usr/src/rpm/SRPMS
  # tar zxf libart_lgpl-2.3.10-1.tgz
  # cd libart_lgpl-2.3.10
  # ./configure
  # make
  # make install
  # cp .libs/libart_lgpl_2.a /usr/lib

Konstruct on PPC

% cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde co kdenonbeta/konstruct

% cd kdenonbeta/konstruct/meta
% make install
Eventually, kdelibs will fail to compile due to a configure switch
being set so:
% cd ../kde/kdelibs/
% vi Makefile
  remove --enable-fast-malloc=full from the CONFIGURE_ARGS line
% cd ../../meta
% make install
  It will continue where it left off
Wait a LONG time

Eventually the compile will finish and you now have kde 3.1RC 5
located in ~/kde3.1-rc5
To run KDE3.1RC5 instead of KDE 3.0: (excerpt from the konstruct
README)

After installation you have to set some variables allowing your system to find
KDE binaries and libraries and KDE to allow to find its own files, for Bash:

  export QTDIR=~/kde3.1-rc5
  export KDEDIR=~/kde3.1-rc5

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/kde3.1-rc5/lib
  export PATH=~/kde3.1-rc5/bin:$PATH

Setting KDEHOME too, e.g. "export KDEHOME=~/.kdetest", will tell KDE to save
your settings to this directory and leave default ~/.kde directory unaffected.

The complete KDE desktop is started with "startkde", most distributions start
it if you set it to the WINDOWMANAGER variable in your shell initializations.

Caveats:
I have coma across a few issues wit KDE 3.1RC5 so far.
1) startkde seems to hang on me during the first step of loading.
   I don't use startkde anymore. I basically start a second X server
   on display 1 (ie C-A F8)
   % X :1
   % export DISPLAY=:1
   % kdeinit &
   % ksmserver
     KDE 3.1RC5 shoudl be started

2) If you decide to set KDEHOME and want to keep you old settings make
   sure to copy .kde to $KDEHOME befire starting kde

3) Kmail 1.5 (KDE3.1) has trouble parsing Kmail 1.4 (KDE3.0) mail
   messages. All of my mail messages from old KDE display grabage

--Boundary-00=_QSeA+u6p7f1pR4+--