Trouble Reinstalling YDL 2.3

kaos yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 19 10:00:01 2002

I think I know what the problem is.

The Yellow Dog installer, for lack of a better description, sucks ass.
In my opinion, the YDL installer is the worst linux installer available
right now.

What kind of linux installation program doesn't give you the option to
install over a network?  Or from a hard drive partition? Or from
something OTHER than the CDROM drive?

I've been trying like hell to get YDL installed onto a PowerCenter 150
clone with a SCSI CD-ROM drive that isn't able to read CD-R media.
Hence, I can't burn an .iso and install from CD.

First, I tried making boot floppies and using YDL's installer ramdisk
images. That failed about a dozen times, so I decided to just install
Mac OS 8 again and use BootX. This worked great as far as booting a
linux kernel from the HFS partition and loading YDL's installation
ramdisk image. From that point, I was very disappointed to find out that
my only installation media option was "CD/DVD Drive".

This has really caused me to lose a lot of respect for YDL.

What I suggest you do is use an alternate PPC linux distribution, such
as Debian, SuSE, or Mandrake. Their installers look to be far superior
to YDL's and I'm willing to bet that support (if needed) will be much
better too. I've found that these distributions have much better
documentation and a more knowledgable user base (from browsing mailing
list archives).

Good luck.

--
[kaos]