Modem on TI PowerBook

Joe Villari yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 20 08:23:01 2002

I've recently updated from 2.1 to 2.3 because I need my modem to work
on my TI PowerBook. After following the modem howto's it still not
working.

Initially kpp saw the modem as ttyS0 but returned no values when
doing a query. wvdial did not see the modem at ttyS0.

Moved on to the "winmodem" how to and get the results below:

This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your system:
   Kernel arch: ppc
   Kernel version: linux-2.4.20-rc4-ben0

Trying to automatically re-compile the modules..
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/usr/src/linux]

Re-compiling HCF modules for kernel 2.4.20-rc4-ben0, using source directory
/usr/src/linux. Please wait..
Re-compilation and installation of HCF modules succeeded.

Your HCF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHCFUSB0
or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.

[root@localhost 2.4.20-rc4-ben0]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Cannot open ttySHCFUSB0: No such file or directory

[root@localhost joev]$ ls -l /dev/ttySHCFUSB0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     240,  64 Dec 19  2002 /dev/ttySHCFUSB0

The wvdial.conf has been edited to reflect  /dev/ttySHCFUSB0. I'm
stumped here. I don't think the modules are loaded but I'm not sure
how to check or where to go. Anyone have ideas or see what I'm
missing?

Thanks
Joe